Added: 20 June 2018
Ipswich Building Society will celebrate Suffolk Day on 21st June 2018 with a variety of special events and festivities across its branch network
Suffolk Day, inspired by the 40-year running Yorkshire Day, is an annual event which is led by the East Anglian Daily Times, Ipswich Star, BBC Radio Suffolk and the County Council. The event has the support of a wide range of Suffolk organisations and encourages people to come together and celebrate the county’s heritage, art, culture and wildlife.
The Society welcomes members and local residents to celebrate the special day at a number of events across its branches:
• The newly opened Mutual House branch in Ipswich town centre, in collaboration with the Suffolk Record Office, will display historical artefacts related to the history of Suffolk and the Society’s own history dating back to 1849. There will also be entertainment from the Children's Theatre Company, who will perform songs from their forthcoming performance of Les Misérables.
• The Aldeburgh branch will host a “Taste of Suffolk” day with locally produced food and drink samples.
• The Hadleigh branch will have cake tins at the ready for a “bake off” competition, open for all to enter and help judge the tastiest cake.
• The Halesworth branch will host a guided walk of the Halesworth Town Trail followed by refreshments in branch.
• The Haverhill branch will host a coffee day with tea, coffee and cakes all on offer.
• The Saxmundham branch will announce the winner and runners up for its Suffolk Day colouring competition, which has been open to children to enter since the end of May. The branch will display the colourful entries for visitors to enjoy with an afternoon tea.
• The team at Sudbury will be in the Town Hall with games, giveaways and the chance to meet the Society’s mascot, Pound the Hound. Inside its branch on the Market Hill, visitors will be served coffee and cake made with ingredients from local produce.
• The Woodbridge branch will host a Taste of Suffolk event, with delicious treats on offer from local producers.
Commenting on the activities taking place across the Society’s branch network, CEO Richard Norrington said: “We’re looking forward to hosting a range of festivities that will enable us to come together with our local community in celebration of our county on Suffolk Day.
“As a mutual organisation, founded in Ipswich nearly 170 years ago, we have communities at heart and are always seeking opportunities to invest in our heartland area and get involved. Suffolk Day is a great opportunity to do something special and welcome people into our branches.”