Mortgages for the self employed
Due to the operational challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have temporarily restricted our lending criteria and withdrawn a number of our mortgage products. Visit the FAQs for more information.
Important information: your mortgage and the stamp duty holiday
Ahead of the stamp duty holiday deadline on 31 March please be aware we cannot guarantee your mortgage will complete in time for you to be eligible. This particularly applies for purchase applications and any remortgages where additional borrowing for any onward purchase is required.
For information about the stamp duty holiday and rates which will apply from 1 April please click here.
We are happy to accept applications for self employed mortgages. All our residential mortgages are open to the self employed subject to at least two years accounts being available (other criteria will apply). We also have self employed mortgages for those with less than two years accounts. This includes a self employed mortgage for professionals, a specialist self employed mortgage and a mortgage specifically designed for contractors.
We have lots of experience in dealing with self employed mortgages. Our mortgage underwriters will review your case personally, taking a balanced view of your personal circumstances, work situation and variable income using their common sense rather than a computer model. We understand that life is not straightforward and even more so when you are self employed and looking for a self employed mortgage! So, we'll keep the process as straightforward as possible, whilst we may need some paperwork from you, we'll be up front about our requirements from the beginning. We try to make applying for a self employed mortgage as painless as possible.
If you are looking for a self employed mortgage then please get in touch and speak with one of our mortgage consutants who can talk you through our range of dedicated self employed mortgages to find the right one for you.
However, if you are just looking for more information at this stage, please visit see our other relevant content:
Please note that our mortgage products are generally only available to direct applicants in England and Wales and via intermediaries based in, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Please check the individual product details for the availability.
From time to time we may offer exclusive products through our brokers. Please contact us for further details.
Conditions for Self Employed Specialist products
• The applicant's accountant is suitably qualified in accordance with Lending Policy
• The applicant must be in the same line of work as that carried out for the previous three years
• Income is verified to the 12 months accounts in the first instance or via HMRC self assessments (SA302)
Conditions for Self Employed Professional products
• This is aimed at those self employed applicants who are in a professional occupation (i.e. Solicitors, Architects, Accountants, Dentists, Doctors, Surveyors, Pharmacists, Vets, and Optometrists) and are working as part of an established partnership (of at least three years)
• 1 years accounts+ - consider up to 90% LTV
• Less than 1 years accounts and established firm - consider up to 75% LTV
Condition for Contractor products
• Excludes CIS scheme